Twenties are the time when most of us take up our first jobs. Even though it’s great to finally start earning and ‘be on your own’, corporate life is nothing like we imagine it to be in our younger years. It’s stressful and unrewarding. Here are 18 harsh truths about corporate life nobody will ever tell you.
1. The more efficient you are at your work, the more you will be burdened with it.
2. Nobody cares about your individual progress in the corporate world. All that matters is what you contribute to the company.
3. There will come a time when you will take up a job just for the money and nothing else.
4. Desk jobs kill creativity.
5. Very often, you will be held accountable for tasks that weren’t even your responsibility in the first place.
6. You will be dealing with a dozen tasks other than what you were initially hired for. Your scope of work will only keep increasing.
7. You will be constantly made to believe you need the company more than it needs you, and that, is not always true.
8. Meetings are a waste of time. Always. Nothing good has ever come out of them, really. Most people aren’t listening, and the ones talking are far away from reality.
9. If you’re sluggish, you’ll be ridiculed by your boss. If you’re proactive, you’ll be hated by your colleagues.
10. Your needs as an employee would go completely ignored, sometimes. You won’t get what you really deserve until you raise your voice and put your foot down.
11. You will be made to work with uninspired people and it will be the most difficult task ever. Your team-mates would neither be of any help, nor would they make it possible for you take everything in your own hands, and it will kill your passion.
12. People around will constantly pull you down with their cynicism solely because they hate your guts.
13. Nobody is going to appreciate you staying in extra hours every single day but the one time you leave a little early, hell will break lose.
14. Whichever new initiatives you volunteer for, become your responsibility.
15. The HR Department is useless, wherever you go.
16. Office politics is definitely not a myth.
17. But meritocracy is. There will be times when undeserving people will get credit for the work you do, simply because they are higher up on the corporate ladder.
18. Half of your time will be spent in sending out unnecessary mails that will never even be read to countless people who want to feel important, before you can actually start working. And more often than not, you will end up doing everything yourself.